If your CASA child is in crisis or immediate danger, dial 911.
If you suspect that a child has been abused or is at risk of abuse you must contact the Child Abuse and Neglect Center ASAP, but no later than 24 hours.
Your Advocate Supervisor may be contacted for questions or support, but do not delay reporting if your Supervisor is not immediately available. *You cannot be penalized for a report made in good faith.*
Be sure to record the name of the person receiving the report over the phone as it is required for the written report in addition to the time the call was made.
Failure to Report: Failure to report suspected abuse is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment/fine. Any person who fails to report an instance of child abuse or neglect as required by the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act is guilty of a misdemeanor with a punishment not to exceed six months in jail or $1000 or both.
Confidentiality: A mandated reporter is required to give his or her name. The identity of all persons who report shall be confidential. Violation of statutory confidentiality is a misdemeanor. The Department of Family and child Services (DFCS) may reveal the names of reporting parties only to other investigative agencies as specified by law. However, it may be that the person can “guess” who has made the report. No person required to report abuse will bear criminal liability for reporting. No supervisor or administrator may impede or prohibit reporting.
- Call the Department of Family and Children's Services (DFCS) Child Abuse and Neglect Center to report child abuse or neglect: (These numbers operate 24 hours a day).
- San Jose Area
- Gilroy/Morgan Hill Area
- Palo Alto Area
- San Jose Area
- Notify both the child’s social worker and your CASA supervisor. The emergency on-call number for Child Advocates is (408) 761-3437 if you can't reach your supervisor.
- Complete a State of California Suspected Child Abuse Report Form (SS8572). This can be found online* or contact your Specialist/Mentor for a copy. It needs to be completed and signed by you as the person filing the original report.
*A PDF printable form may be obtained from www.sccgov.org on the child abuse reporting page. Print and Fax this form to (408) 975-5851. Make sure to address fax to the official who received the original phone report.
- Reporting Party: Use Child Advocates’ Address: 509 Valley Way, Bldg 2 Milpitas, CA 95035
- Report Notification: select county welfare as the agency reported to
- Once the report has been completed, please scan and email, fax, or drop off a copy to your CASA Supervisor as soon as possible.
- Mail copies of the written report (SS8572) within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident to the:
Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children's Services
Child Abuse and Neglect Center
373 West Julian St.
San Jose CA 95110